Della Terra: The Comeback King Finds Creative Ways to Beat COVID-19
Chefs are known for thinking on their feet. They have to put out fires all the time in their kitchen. That talent sure came in handy when #COVID19 laid the restaurant industry out. #Snohomish catering chef, Della Terra's Cody Castiglia took all of the creativity that goes into his lavish, farm-to-table feasts and found inventive, safe-distancing al
Before Canlis went from fine dining to drive-thru, Della Terra Catering’s Cody Castiglia was already there. The Snohomish farm-to-table chef began transitioning his thriving catering company into an online delivery service way before COVID-19 turned us into a nation of shut-ins. But it’s not just about saving his livelihood. He’s done more to galvanize this community of tight-knit, sustainable farmers and creatives out on their luck than all the king’s horses and all the king’s men. Call him the Comeback King.
How have you adapted? I am amazed at the ways local businesses have creatively adapted and pivoted their business models to stay afloat during these unprecedented times. Due to the closings, cancellations, and calls to social distancing, we have had to come up with a few ways to continue to generate revenue. We recently launched our farm-to-table prepared meals service, “Della Terra To-Go,” where the community can go online to view the menus and order. All items are $15 or under per person, and are presented in foil pans, fully cooked and ready to re-heat at home and serve. Folks can now enjoy the same chef-made, local and seasonal creations that our guests enjoy at weddings and special events that we cater. Also, we will be partnering with a few local wineries in the next couple weeks to offer at-home wine and food pairing packages (links to come!).
What’s the response been? It’s been a great opportunity to serve folks who normally wouldn’t have the opportunity to try our food. We are very grateful to everyone that has placed orders. It’s good to see you (from six feet away)!
How are you helping the community? Our hearts go out to all who have been affected by COVID-19: those who don’t have the option to work from home, those who have been laid off, parents who are struggling to make ends meet and find child-care in lieu of school closings, and small business owners who are left with little to no revenue due to the closures, cancellations, and calls to social distancing. We have a small fund going to provide meals to anyone who has been affected by COVID-19. If you want to donate, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you know of an individual or family in need, please let us know of that, as well.
We are partnering with Snohomish PUD [and the Everett chapter of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers] on a GoFundMe fundraiser to “Fuel the Fight” on COVID-19, and provide homemade, healthy, farm-to-table [at-cost] meals to frontline, essential workers in Snohomish and Camano Island.
“We wanted to give back and support the workers who are ensuring the rest of us remain safe and healthy. We are inspired by our healthcare providers, medical technicians, custodians, grocery store staff, and even employees at JoAnn’s Fabric, who are working non-stop to sell material for those making community masks.” —Sara Langus, IBEW Local No. 77
How can people support you? Small business owners are a strong and resilient bunch, but we do have some catching up to do. I hope that your readers will consider supporting their favorite local businesses in any way that they can. There is a strong chance that the doors may be shuttering on many of our region’s restaurants, bakeries, boutiques, and other small businesses due to this virus.
Personally, the Della Terra team has been impacted. We make our revenue by catering events and we have had to cancel or re-schedule all events for March, April, and May, possibly beyond. We have also had to cancel all tastings and meetings, which we rely on to book future business. Your support is greatly appreciated and necessary to help us continue in our mission: Providing delicious opportunities to enjoy real, local food around the table with loved ones, while impacting our local economy, community, and the environment.
There are a few ways folks can stay connected and support us (and other small businesses) during these times.
- Buy gift cards: Buy now, redeem later! Square has recently launched the “Give and Get Local” page, which is a new, easy way to support local businesses. It makes it simple for customers to find local businesses to shop and support through e-gift cards. Visit the site and enter your town to see a full listing of e-gift cards available in your area.
We are excited to announce that we now have Della Terra gift cards available for sale. Redeemable for farm-to-table catering, winemaker’s dinners, or other events.
- Order Takeout & Delivery: Support your community and eat well during the crisis! Restaurants, bars, and breweries were ordered to close across the state in an attempt to slow down the spread of the virus. Luckily, many of these places are offering takeout and delivery options. The City of Snohomish has a guide of local restaurants offering curbside pick-up and delivery. 425 Business also has a guide of takeout and delivery options on the Eastside and beyond.
- Shop Online: Online shopping is convenient and many of your favorite local boutiques and retail stores sell online, so you can virtually (and safely) shop with them from your laptop or smartphone. Every purchase makes a difference right now. Keeping your spending local is more important than ever before.
Snohomish is open for business! The City of Snohomish created this handy “Virtual Snohomish” guide to shopping from your favorite local small businesses online.
- Ensure Future Business For Wedding & Event Industry Professionals: The wedding and event industry has been greatly impacted by the virus, with all events canceled or postponed for the foreseeable future. Caterers, DJs, florists, planners, etc. are down several months of projected revenue. There are so many advantages to booking well in advance. By booking your event in advance, you ensure that we have your date available, and you lock in our current prices. What would be a good excuse for you to have a party in the next year?
You have enough on your plate. Leave your wedding, birthday party, employee or client appreciation party, bridal or baby shower, family gathering, fundraiser, wine pairing event, graduation, holiday party, appetizer reception, employee outing, seminar, networking soiree, or any other type of event to us.
To start the conversation, visit dellaterra425.com/contact.
We have developed brand new 2020 menus in collaboration with our favorite local farms and producers, we’d love to share them with you.
If you don’t have extra money in the bank right now, we totally understand. There are many ways to support local businesses for free.
- Write a 5-Star Review: What are some of your favorite local businesses? Which local products, services, or people matter to you? If you are home with not much to do, how about jumping on a few platforms and writing a quick, heartfelt review for your favorite local businesses? We’re on Facebook, Google & WeddingWire and would be grateful for your review!
- Let’s Be Social: Social media is one of the few tools that small business owners have to promote their business. One free and easy way to support local businesses is to follow, like, and share their social media pages, and tag your friends in their posts. Supporting small businesses doesn’t require spending money or lots of time. It can be as simple as sharing, liking and promoting us.
Any special plans to celebrate Earth Day, April 22? We will offer a “90 mile dinner” pre-order meal, with 90 percent of ingredients sourced from within 90 miles of Snohomish (yes even oils, salt, etc.). Check out the online menu and pre-order now! Orders are due by end of Friday, April 17 for pickup Wednesday between 4-6 p.m. Deliveries available within 10 miles.
- Della Terra Catering
- Contact: email@example.com | com/contact/
- Facebook business page: https://www.facebook.com/dellaterra425
- Website: dellaterra425.com
- Gift card | gift certificates: https://squareup.com/gift/VPA7E3M4AVFA4/order
- Featured in Welcome Magazine: https://welcomemagsnoho.com/magazine_article/della-terra-the-farmers-chef/
- Prepared Meal Sign-Up Form: https://hello.dubsado.com/public/form/view/5e6aa14c4e1bfc2f28bb639a?fbclid=IwAR341_0dk2KaOZYfRlZeqo5T4WTI8JJgmnFKERq-ltSl_GsfvQoDREpcGwk