Lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) with Healthier Ground Chicken or Turkey
- 25-30 *lumpia wrappers (in freezer section)
- 2 T. oil for frying
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
- A little ground shrimp, optional
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded/grated
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 t. salt
- 2 cups Napa Cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts, optional
- ½ t. pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- Heat frying pan and add 2 T. oil. Add garlic, onion, and ground chicken or turkey — and a little ground shrimp, if you’re using. Cook until done. Add carrots and cabbage. Add remaining ingredients and cook until combined. Allow mixture to cool. Wrap in lumpia wrappers, following instructions on package. Deep fry in 3 cups of vegetable oil at 350 degree F until golden brown.
- If you want to make your own *lumpia wrappers, sift 1 cup of flour in a medium bowl, then sift again with ½ cup of cornstarch and a dash of salt. Slowly add 1 ¾ cups of water, beating till smooth. Add 1 extra-large egg, beat in. You can use a blender, instead of mixing by hand.
- Oil skillet over low heat. Pour in ¼ cup batter, spread in a thin layer over the pan. Heat till sides begin to curl. Remove from pan. Stack cooked wrappers on top of one another. Keep going until you’ve made all the lumpia wrappers, about 15. Oil the pan after cooking each wrapper.
The article continues below.